Beginning.Emergence.Contemplation

From the perspective of a student, I am fascinated by the manner in which we collate and adapt our identities within social spheres. We exist in environments both natural and designed, that are as fluid and prone to change as creativity itself. As a fashion practitioner, this inherent fascination amalgamates itself with an ever evolving cycle of research, understanding and redirection. My work it seems is laced with narrative, blending a perspective or an idea into either a visual construct or a deliberate process to best express ideas. Critically, however, this appears to be a somewhat general interest for the practitioner of fashion as fashion itself is a construct of humanity.

So here it begins, the potentially dizzying drawl of words that make little to zero sense in a colloquial context.

My first set of questions I discussed in class:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Design is to me:
An answer to a question, design takes the complexities of a seemingly unfathomable problem and answers it in a useful and considered way.

Fashion is to me:
An almost tangible perception applicable to things against or near the skin. A fluid term with many connotations, each of which cannot be selected until proper contextualisation has taken place.

Key issues and things that influence my work practise and myself are:
As an individual I thrive on inquiry, learning and discovery. I have an insatiable curiosity and lust for knowledge, the new, the unexpected and the beautiful. This could possibly sound like a load of wank (excuse the colloquialism) but this is manifested through my love for urban exploration (both experiencing architecture and breaking the constraints of the designed environment). Then again, giant bears who travel via kitchen sponges whilst brandishing rainbow fire swords also intrigue me.

What is important to me and how I reflect this in my work is:
The emotive backflow from the physical form during my working process. Its important to me to work in a holistic manner so that the result is the correct amount of preconceived idea and unexpected endpoint. I love tactility in things, and also the question of how or what it is. Nothing I do ends up quite perfect, but I see this asymmetry in result to be special.

I would like to make a difference in fashion by:
Fashion is difference, its one of the fastest moving and ephemeral things I know of (unless somebody, somewhere created a cheetah-dandelion hybrid something. This aside however, Ideally I would like to be a unique and integral cog in the fashion mechanism.

Where would you like to be in three years - place, organisation, profile?

Somewhere else.

Thats quite literally whats scrawled on my sheet, but I guess if I was to answer now it would still be a hard thing to express. I think this answer is more reflective of the question "Where is your mind 90% of the time?"

I love the lifestyle of the creative. We are everywhere all the time, always working, yet never really working because we love it. I suppose I would subscribe to the cliche 'working for a house overseas' answer, as we talked about in class. It truly would be amazing, but at the same time small Australian labels have such a wealth of identity in themselves (clearly a bias, as I have no overseas experience to critically compare), and the realm of fashion seems to be such a large one that I'm really not certain. It all seems to be an ideal as long as I have a place.

If you could have a dream opportunity at the completion of this course what would it be?
Internship overseas, followed by employment with a house. Doing wonderful things in wonderful (or not so wonderful, studios can be funny little hovels!) places.

Consider six words to describe your approach to fashion:
Haphazard
Emotive
Gentle
Considered
Academic
Unexpected
Conceptualised
Sweet

More than six, I do realise!



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Thats a wrap on first class, more to come

Holly Wolfe
aka Big Bad

No comments:

Post a Comment